17 April 1907
- The violinist Florizel von Reuter is giving yet another concert, with the pianist Arthur Newstead and the Mozart-Saal Orchestra, conducted by Paul Prill. (In researching what became of this child prodigy, I came upon a book he wrote about his experiences communicating through a medium with the spirit world, specifically with the spirit of Paganini. The book is endorsed by Arthur Conan Doyle, who was also a spiritualist. See below.)
- The Philharmonic has another Beethoven popular concert tonight, August Scharrer conducting. The program is the Symphony no. 4 and all the music to Egmont, with soprano Frau Grumbacher-de Yong and the actor M. v. Erdberg.
- The scheduled second Lieder-Abend of Hans Buff-Gießen is postponed to the 25th.
- Lula Myz-Gmeiner’s Lieder-Abend, which was previously postponed, is now cancelled due to the continuing illness of the singer.
- Königliche Oper: Tannhäuser
- Komische: Neugierige Frauen (see below)
- Lortzing: Fidelio
- Theater des Westens: Die Lustige Witwe
- Central: Wiener Blut
- Deutsch-Amerikanisches: Mamselle Nitouche
Wolf-Ferrari’s adaptation of a play by Carlo Goldoni, “Le Donne curiose,” translated as “Die neugierigen Frauen,” first performed in 1902.
An example of spirit photography in a picture of Florizel von Reuter and his mother. From his Psychical Experiences of a Musician (In Search of Truth), with a foreword by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (London: The Psychic Press, 1928).