Organizations and venues for music in Berlin

Topographie des Berliner Konzertlebens 1880-1945

The Staatliches Institut für Musikforschung’s map-based locator for concert halls and conservatories, also other places such as home addresses (most of these are for places after World War I)

Music Venues in Berlin in 1907

Unter den Linden vicinity:

  • Königliches Oper, Opernplatz (1574 places)
    • Concert Hall (1000)
  • Singakademie, Am Festungsgraben 2 (1250)
  • Komische Oper, Friedrichstr. 104

In the vicinity of Potsdamer Platz:

  • Philharmonie, Bernburgerstr. 22 (opened 1882, renovated 1888; 2500 places)
  • Philharmonie, Oberlichtsaal (1901 or 1902; 800 places)
  • Bechsteinsaal, Linkstraße 42 (opened October 1892; 400 + 99 balcony places)
  • Beethovensaal, Köthenerstr. 32 (1899; 1100 places)
  • Künstlerhaus, Bellevuestr. 3
  • Choralion Saal, Bellevuestr. 4 (1907; 400 places)

Further west

  • Mozart Saal, Nollendorf Platz (1906, 1100-1500 places)
  • Blüthner Saal, Lützowstr. 76 (Magdeburger Platz) (1907, 1200 + 200 podium places)
  • Klindworth-Scharwenka Saal, Lützowstr. 76 (1907, 540 + 40 podium places)
  • Theater des Westens, Kantstr. 12
  • Hochschule für Musik, Fasanenstr. 1 (1902; 1500)
    • Theatersaal (400)

Various other locations for concerts

    • Architektenhaus, Wilhelmstr. 92/93 (400)
      • Kleiner Saal (200)
    • Hotel de Rome, Unter den Linden 39 (322)
    • Galerie für alte und neue Kunst, Wilhelmst. (1907)
    • Central-Theater, Alte Jakobstr. 30 (operetta)
    • Lortzing-Theater, Belle Alliancestr. 7-9 (Volksoper)
  •  
Königlichen Opernhaus. Seats 1574. Tickets 12 Marks to 1.50 M for standing room.

1895

Oskar Eichberg listed what the city offered its concert goers in 1895:

The Königliche Kapelle led by Felix Weingartner gave concerts almost every evening (!).
The Popular Concerts of the Philharmonic led by Franz Mannstädt were three times a week.
There were ten Philharmonic concerts a year, previously under Hans von Bülow, now under Arthur Nikisch.
The Konzerthauscapelle under Carl Meyder gave daily concerts from September to the end of April.
There were also two Wagner Societies that gave concerts.
Then there were the choral organizations:

the Königliche Oper Chorus,
the Philharmonisches Chor led by Ochs (3 or 4 concerts a year),
the Stern’sche Gesangverein (3-4),
the Singakademie (6),
the Cäcilienverein (2),
the Kotzolt’sche Verein (3),
the Domchor (3),
the Berliner Liedertafel (3-4)
and the Lehrerverein Sängerbund (3-4).
He finally added to that total at least an additional hundred benefit concerts every winter. This does not count guest artists visiting Berlin.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email